Navy FitRep/ChiefEval Page
When you realize that the success of the Navy mission depends on putting the right people in the right job, you can grasp the importance of the annual evaluation. The information contained in this critical document is used to select candidates for the Navy's most challenging and key billets. As you advance in rank, the importance of your annual evaluation only increases and it's vitally important that it be completed accurately.
Writing a ChiefEval/FITREP
Squeezing a year's performance into only 18 lines is a challenge. And when you consider the impact that this single document has, you realize how important it is to make every single word count. The most efficient way to get started is to brainstorm first. List all the ratee's accomplishments on a separate sheet of paper. Write down everything that might qualify as an accomplishment that occurred during the reporting period:
Then when you have all the information on paper, you can start sorting and prioritizing the information. Below is a discussion on the Block 41, Comments on Performance block, and general guidance on how to record your accomplishments. The Comments on Performance block has three main divisions which vary somewhat in size as needed: The Introduction, The Accomplishments Section, and The Summary.
Navy Fitrep Examples
E-7 CHIEF PETTY OFFICER EVAL EXAMPLES
Inspirational Leader. Continually emphasizes Sailor's career development resulting in Admin Department receiving 1 SOY, 1BJOY, 2 NAM's, and 1 MOVSM. Serves her fellow chiefs as CPOA Mess Treasurer and active in Sailor 360, training the command on Heritage and Roles and Responsibilities of Leaders. Hand selected to fill the role of interim SEA when needed.
Excellent Manager. As Administration Officer/Medical LCPO managing 7 personnel, successfully guided Admin and Medical Departments remediating 6 programs back to an on track status. As Command ESO, she administered more than 150 exams for active and reserve Sailors, assisted 3 Sailors with College enrollment all while completing 15 credits towards her won BA degree. Managed UPC program, processing over 200 samples with low error rate.
People Focused. As NOSC SAPR VA, coordinated a successful Sexual Assault Awareness month including all hands training and numerous activities throughout the command to bring awareness to sexual assault and the importance of bystander intervention. As CME, conducted command climate survey. Volunteered at Doby's Mill Elementary School for Read-A-Long, Mt. Zion Baptist Church Salute our Troops program, and Wreaths Across America.
MY #1 OF 9 CPOs - OUTSTANDING LEADER READY FOR SENIOR CHIEF!
-MASTER TEAM BUILDER. As DLCPO, served as a trusted advisor to the J3 Director and area CMDCMs. Directly reshaped and refocused Navy programs on a Joint level, instilling pride and purpose throughout the command. Encouraged all personnel to strive for a balance with supporting the command's mission and their professional and personal development. His leadership and guidance resulted in two advancements, six college enrollments, two USMAPS certifications, two MOVSMs, Navy Enlisted Classification awarded and 100% retention.
-ELITE EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATOR. Led six Joint personnel; expertly managed three General Officers' engagements and correspondence, enabling their coordination with the Joint Staff, CCMDs, Components, and the IC in support of NDS and NMS objectives in EUCOM's AOR.
***Outstanding leader with unlimited unmatched technical and tactical aptitude***
-ARTICULATE MANAGER. Led 16 Sailors through a robust INSURV Final Contract Trials for Ship's Signals Exploitation Space and Combat Information Center. Completed five INSURV Inspection Guides totaling 283 individual inspected line items, 40 maintenance checks and Afloat Training Group assessments with an overall grade of 94%, in two warfare areas. Leading to impactful and result driven tactical employment of Info Operations at sea.
-COMPLEX SECURITY EXPERT. Assistant Security Manager, responsible for the security management of more than 3,000 ship's crew, contractors, and shipyard workers by ensuring accoutability and access to the ship's most critical spaces with zero discrepancies. As Special Security Officer, managed the Joint Clearance and Access Verification for 350 Sailors and Officers of the most sensitive National Security programs resulting in a trustworthy and reliable ship's company ready for mission excellence.
-SUPERB ADVISOR. Hand-selected to join the bridge watch team standing 30 conning Officer watches in support of operations to include DLQ's, SESEF range, and Sonar testing. This allowed for greater flexibility in watchbills during Combat System Trials.
***TECHNICAL WARRIOR AND TEAM PLAYER THAT MAKES THE WARDROOM STRONGER***
*** RANKS #8 OF 44 HIGHLY COMPETITIVE CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS ONBOARD WASP! ***
*** A RISING STAR IN THE CPO RANKS - QUICKLY BECOMING MY GO-TO CPO! ***
Volunteered to fill an emergent vacancy onboard WASP 3 days prior to Surge Deployment! Chief Weatherbee hit the ground running creating an environment of success in Deck Dept.
- Excellent mentor and leader. Displaying inspiring dedication, he mentors and develops Sailors. Efforts led directly to eight new Petty Officers and increase in quals.
He expertly plans and prioritizes short and long-term goals ensuring WASP and Deck Department exceed mission requirements.
- Accomplished professional. Performed admirably in the successful accomplishment of 10 replenishment, 65 LCAC, 20 LCU, 50 small boat, and 18 mooring evolutions ultimately achieving SAR and Well Deck Certifications significantly ahead of schedule.
- Immediately took assignment as Departmental 3M Assistant and expertly led the department through a demanding 3M Assessment and certification with a 98% RAR.
He possesses outstanding military knowledge, superb motivation, professional acumen and is ready to accept greater responsibilities now!
*** A FUTURE MCPO - KEEP HIM ON TRACK FOR FUTURE SUCCESS! ***
Evaluation submitted on the occasion of BMC Sinoc's transfer to USS Peleliu (LHA-5).
*** UNQUESTIONABLY MY NUMBER 1 OF 28 CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS!!!***
The epitome of a Departmental Leading Chief Petty Officer. Exceptional manager with unparalleled professional knowledge. As Lead High Risk Instructor, he unified his peers and subordinates which yielded outstanding results in all task assigned.
-INVALUABLE TRAINER: His uncanny ability of simplifying and explaining complex UNREP and 7 Meter RHIB topics has increased student knowledge retention and led to a 97.6% improvement in laboratory evolutions and graduation of 1727 students in 6 courses of instruction.
-UNSURPASSED LEADERSHIP: Chief Sinoc has an outstanding ability to plan, manage, and allocate limited resources, resulting in increased productivity and total mission accomplishment. He led 14 dedicated and knowledgeable instructors, supervising their progression and certifications, which produced 4 Junior Sailors of the Quarter, 3 Sailors of the Quarter, 1 Junior Sailor of the Quarter and 4 Instructor of the Quarter selections.
BMC Sinoc possesses great foresight and qualities of a LDO. He is a TRIED and TRUSTED leader who is ready to breathe new life into the WARDROOM. He will be a great new addition to the Officer's community. Detail to only the most difficult positions!
***SUBMITED ON THE OCCASSION OF CSCS DET EAST CHANGE OF COMMAND***
Only being at the command for a short time, Chief Williams has set a new standard for excellence and has become an intricate part of the CPO Mess and the command.
A DYNAMIC AND NATURAL LEADER. As Course Manager and Lead Instructor for three courses, he was a integral part in 12 convenings, and expertly trained 150 Sailors to the apprenticeship level and over 100 in proper coxswain techniques for 7m RIB, attaining a 100% graduation rate. Additionally, he is responsible for the curriculum, and testing for 4 other RIB training sites. He provided training to the Chief's mess and First class mess for CPO 365 Phase one and two lectures.
EXCELLENT PROGRAM MANAGER. Assuming the role as the Command s Safety Officer, he is responsible for all Detachment East Safety Programs. By ensuring that six training facilities, 17 civilian employees, 180 instructors and 800 students are maintaining a safe working environment, providing a mishap free work environment. As the command Indoctrination coordinator, he expertly managed a team of 4 Chiefs and 6 First Classes during lectures and topics for newly reported instructors.
Chief Williams' passion and drive develops Sailors, which is instrumental to our Navy and Command's success. ABSOLUTE MUST SELECT FOR SENIOR CHIEF AND THE SENIOR ENLISTED ACADEMY!!!
*** EVALUATION SUBMITTED ON THE OCCASION OF CHANGE OF COMMAND ***
BMC Vines is an advocate of tradition, loyalty, and strong naval service. He is a firm enforcement of military standards and equitable treatment of subordinates and has optimized morale and promoted teamwork and mission accomplishment.
DECKPLATE LEADERSHIP- Elected as the CSCS Detachment East CPO Mess President, in the four months he has demonstrated a strong working relationship throughout the command with his active participation in projects and functions related to CPO 365.
SAILORIZATION- As the Command DAPA for Detachment East, he has been a driving force proper training which resulted in the command achieving a ARI/DUI and Drug Free environment for over 14 months.
RECOGNIZED EXPERT- He obtained his Master Training Specialist and epitomizes the Navy Core Values. He displays outstanding determination and stimulates others to excel within them. With proper guidance and more mentoring he will be a rising star in the future.
E-8 SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICER EVAL EXAMPLES
*** EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCE AND UNWAVERING LOYALTY! ***
Senior Chief Proctor is a strong deck-plate leader with a proven record of achievement.
- Confident Authority. Expertly supervised and orchestrated the safe and expeditious off load of 950 tons of shipfill and LFORM munitions in Earle, New Jersey in preparation for Ship's outfitting of Joint Strike Fighter package.
- The model of achievement. Superbly coordinated the command's EAWS Program which resulted in the qualification of 25 crew members enhancing WASP war-fighting capabilities.
- Dynamic Motivator. As an ATT Member, he trained over 250 flight and hangar deck personnel in SOPs which resulted in a grade of 95 percent during ULTRA-S Assessment. Instrumental to pilot sustainment training in day, night, and NVG VERTREPs, improving multi-service capabilities of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Army.
- Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
Senior Chief Proctor is a voice of reason within the CPO Mess. Extremely influential, he is staunchly dedicated to command goals and challenges.
*** CONTINUE TO CHALLENGE AND PROMOTE EARLY! ***
*** SENIOR CHIEF HEIDER IS A SUPERSTAR! ***
*** MY #4 OF 14 OUTSTANDING SENIOR CHIEFS ONBOARD WASP! ***
His leadership has broken him out as a leader in the mess and on my ship!
- A True Deckplate Leader. Selflessly devoted time and effort to encourage and mentor junior Sailors throughout the department. His inspirational leadership has yielded an unprecedented eight Petty Officer advancements in an austere advancement environment. His tireless efforts resulted in 18 warfare qualifications, and a 95% retention rate.
- Mission Oriented. Managed the execution of over 388 mishap-free refueling evolutions and the safe transfer of more than 998,000 gallons of aviation fuel in support of WASP's Southern Partnership Station surge deployment.
- Consummate Professional. His leadership and technical expertise have contributed to an increase in WASP's combat readiness and resulted in lasting improvements to the safe operation and maintenance of the Aviation Fuels System.
- Fall 2009/Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
If you can select only one Senior Chief make it Senior Heider.
*** HE HAS MY STRONGEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION FOR SELECTION TO MCPO!! ***
*** MY #2 OF 12 OUTSTANDING SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS ONBOARD WASP! ***
*** NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HIM AND #1 ***
LSCS Liban is one of the best deckplate leaders I have ever observed. His commitment to mission and crew is unwavering. Performance equal to a Master Chief in every way.
- Multi-talented shipwide Leader who does it all! Fully engaged my most trusted Duty Section Leader, an experienced DCTT Leader, and WASP EAWS Coordinator!
- Consummate Professional. Flawless leadership and professional expertise were vital to a Readiness grade of Outstanding during the 2010 Supply Management Certification, award of the Blue "E", successful INSURV and 98% Aviation FMC rate during a 4th Fleet Deployment.
- Dynamic Mentor. His robust training yielded 75% advancement and 90% retention in the Aviation Stores Division. Actively involved in his Sailor's development.
- Character and Heritage. Hand picked by the CMC as one of the Induction Season Committee Chairmen for 10 CPO Selectees. One of the most widely respected leaders onboard.
- Fall 2009/Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
LSCS Liban is an absolute superstar, flourishing in a challenging, visible, and pressure filled environment.
*** PROMOTE HIM AHEAD OF HIS PEERS AND MAKE HIM A CMC. ***
*** RANKS #3 OF 12 OUTSTANDING SCPOs. ***
*** LCPO OF THE LARGEST DEPARTMENT ONBOARD WASP! ***
- EXCEPTIONAL LEADER. Flawlessly managed 18 workcenters through arduous Assessment Training Cycle with consistent high results. His leadership, dedication, and attention-to-detail where keen in Team WASP's total contribution and successful completion of NEY, SMC, INSURV, SPS-CARIB09 Deployment, 3M Mid Cycle Inspection, and ULTRA-S.
- TIRELESS MOTIVATOR. Provided mentoring in the implementation and execution of the Ship's ESWS Program. Exceptional management and administrative oversight of the department's 3M Program, ensuring material readiness of all engineering spaces.
- DEDICATED TEAM PLAYER! Exemplifies the terms Ship/Shipmate/Self, consistent, dependable, and accurate in carrying out responsibilities to a successful conclusion. Actively involved in a 65 member Mess and Induction activities. - Fall 2009/Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
Senior Chief Smith's integrity, loyalty, and unwavering professionalism uniquely qualify him to be a Master Chief in today's Navy. Select Now!
*** READY FOR THE CHALLENGE - PROMOTE TO MASTER CHIEF NOW! ***
*** MY #6 OF 12 OUTSTANDING SENIOR CHIEFS ONBOARD WASP!***
A Superstar and Stellar Deckplate Leader, performing as a seasoned MCPO! He is an MP only because of time onboard and restrictions placed on me by the reporting system.
- The pillar of Operations Department. Expertly led 4 DIVOs, 1 SCPO, 5 CPOs, and 95 Sailors; resulting in the successful completions of INSURV 2010 and 3M MCA. His Sailors attained 90% retention, 80% advancement, and a 75% increase in warfare quals.
- Tactical Prowess. My #1 SWC and only enlisted TAO in training. I unequivocally trust his sound, expert judgment in the defense of this warship and crew. He qualified three SWCs and two CICWOs. As CSTT Tactical Leader, he led in the completion of over 500 training objectives, resulting in a 93% TFOM average across eight warfare areas for ULTRA-S.
- ENGAGING PRESENCE. Dedicated CMEO fostering unit cohesion, diversity, and a positive EO environment for 1,100 Sailors. Led 35 member CAT in surveying overall command climate.
- Cornerstone in my Chief's Mess! As CPO Induction Sponsor Chairman, he led a committee of 15 SCPO/CPOs and over 70 Mess members in the transition of 10 CPO Selectees.
- Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
*** SENIOR GUY IS A LEADER AMONG LEADERS, UNRIVALED BY PEERS! PROMOTE HIM NOW!!! ***
*** MY STRONGEST RECOMMENDATION FOR THE CSC PROGRAM AND ADVANCEMENT TO MCPO! ***
*** My #5 of 12 OUTSTANDING SENIOR CHIEF PETTY OFFICERS ONBOARD WASP! ***
He is only MP because of the restrictions placed on me by the report system, an EP in all other circumstances.
- Effective Leader. Flawlessly led AIMD'S TEAM of 87 Sailors and 25 embarked Marines in the completion of 5,193 maintenance actions. Efforts were crucial to embarked squadrons and DEA assets achieving a 100 percent sortie completion rate and the first drug interdiction by a large deck AMPHIB during Operations LOST HORIZON and BLUE STORM.
- Managed the department's Board of Inspection and Survey Material Inspection Groom Teams. Led his troops in the identification and correction of 914 discrepancies across 95 spaces.
- Defines Sailorization. Established WASP's CPO and First Class Petty Officer Professional Training Program providing formal professional training and guidance to 62 Chiefs and 115 First Classes. Responsible for the training and qualification of 83 duty section personnel and 33 Repair 2F personnel ensuring all qualifications were met.
- Leader in the Mess. Hand selected by CMC to Chair the 2010 CPO Induction Committee. Led 15 Chiefs in the planning and execution of CPO Induction for 10 Chief Selects.
- Fall 2009/Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not completed due to operational commitments.
*** THIS SENIOR CHIEF HAS EARNED HIS SECOND STAR!! PUT IT ON HIM TODAY!! ***
*** CONTINUES TO BE MY #1 SENIOR CHIEF, RANKS 1 OF 12! NO COMPETITION! ***
*** MAKE NO MISTAKE, SELECT NOW FOR MASTER CHIEF & CMDCM. WE NEED HIS LEADERSHIP! ***
- Engaged Leader and Mentor. Unmatched leadership, demonstrated by Air Department's 98% retention rate, 65 new EAWS/ESWS qualifications and selection of COUNTLESS command-level award winning Sailors.
- Dedicated Professional. Served as the ship's Senior Enlisted Watch Officer. Expertly managed the training, qualification and assignment of WASP's 8 Duty Sections; skillfully balancing demanding intra-departmental manning challenges and ISIC Force Protection requirements. Additionally, only Chief qualified as a CDO. Overall the best I have, I would take him above some of my more senior Department Heads.
- Operationally Focused. Air Department moved 998,000 gallons of JP5, completed 2,000 flight hours and over 7,500 flight deck evolutions, all 100% MISHAP FREE! Critical leadership credited with highly successful SPS-CARIB-09 surge deployment and the ship earning the U.S. Coast Guard Snowflake - a first for a Big Deck Amphibious Ship!
- Fall 2009/Spring 2010 PFA. PRT not conducted due to operational commitments.
*** IF YOU SELECT JUST ONE ABCM MAKE IT SENIOR CHIEF PETERSON! ***
E-9 MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER EVAL EXAMPLES
THE BEST SENIOR ENLISTED LEADER OF MY 21 YEAR CAREER!
-CMD IMPACT: As the SEL of 38 Expeditionary Maintenance (EM) Sailors, DCCM has groomed two unit and three department LPOs to become more effective leaders and mentors. Due to his influence and training of his LPOs on Sailor recognition programs, his Sailors have been awarded one JSOY, BJOY, two SOQ, and two BJOQ, seven individual awards, and two have been advanced. He ensured his unit Sailors were able to support 1,944 hours so far this FY to the gaining command USS FRANK CABLE (AS40).
-SAILORIZATION: Asked by the CMC of SFRC to rank 19 CPO and five SCPO evaluations, he chose top-quality leaders, ranking the top performers, increasing their chances for board selection. As the unit ESO he reviewed 42 worksheets for two exam cycles and uploaded 12 evaluations and six PMK-EE certificates ensuring his Sailors were prepared for the advancement exams. His influence in the EM awards board sent 16 awards to the gaining command, so that EM DET Sailors were recognized for their hard work and accomplishments, resulting in two being awarded thus far.
-DRIVEN LEADER: DCCM planned and led one telework DWE for 11 unit Sailors during the COVID-19 Pandemic. He volunteered and was selected by NOSC CMC to CHAIR the FY19 SOY and SOQ boards for Quarter three and four, resulted in six packages being reviewed by five SELs.
***HE HAS MY ENDORSEMENT FOR SELECTION FOR COMMAND MASTER CHIEF***
*** ONE OF MY TOP MASTER CHIEFS REGARDLESS OF FROCKED STATUS! ***
Master Chief Valente has set unbelievable standards across the Norfolk Waterfront!
- PHENOMINAL CMAA! His leadership, experience, and ability to motivate Sailors to achieve excellence despite under manning led to WASP's AT/FP, Brig, Detainee OPS, Urinalysis, and Physical Security Programs being certified on time and recognized by USFF, ESG-2, and ATG as model programs in the SECOND Fleet AOR!
- AT/FP WARFARE SME. Led ATTT and six duty sections comprised of over 500 personnel in all aspects of AT/FP training resulting in WASP obtaining exceptional marks during ATG Basic Training Phase 1.0 through 1.4 and AT/FP Warfare Area Certification.
- STELLAR MENTOR. Led 10 CPOs and 55 personnel in the daily operation of a high tempo department, providing absolute best customer service to the crew of over 1,000 personnel in areas of career counseling, pay, legal advice, and MWR resulting in two CPOs, two SOQs, and one JSOQ selection during reporting period. Key leader within WASP s CPO Mess; provided training, mentorship, and aided in the development of 12 newly selected CPOs.
- Cycle 2 2011 PFA. BCA-Failed. Although not within standards, this Master Chief quickly set personal goals, made significant changes in his culture of fitness. Passed 12-1 PFA.
*** KEY IMPACT LEADER - EARNED MY COMPLETE TRUST! ***
*** KEEP ON FAST TRACK FOR CMC PROGRAM! ***
*** INSPIRATIONAL DECK PLATE LEADER AND MENTOR! ***
*** COMMITTED TO THE SHIP, MISSION, AND SAILORS! ***
Master Chief Harding is a superb leader who fosters a healthy, positive work environment, maximizing the professional development of the Sailors assigned.
- SEAMANSHIP EXPERT. Led Deck Department through final 1.4 stages of ATG Pilot Program resulting in outstanding scores for Anchoring, Underway Replenishment, Man Overboard procedures, Mooring, and AAV Operations.
- DEDICATED MENTOR AND TRAINER. As DCTT and STT Member, he trained over 100 Sailors in all aspects of deck seamanship and shipboard damage control responsibilities. His experience, mentorship, and vision led to 15 Seamen being rated and advancement of two BM2s.
- OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE. Supervised over 100 hours of safe Well Deck Operations during Exercises BOLD ALLIGATOR and VITAL ARCHER to include multiple AAV, LCAC, Marine vehicle driver training, HSAC boats, and one French LCAC. Additionally, he managed six mishap-free anchoring evolutions, multiple small boat operations, and six Underway Replenishments, receiving over 1 million gallons of fuel and 40 pallets of stores.
- Received Civil Conviction for DUI from Virginia Beach General District Court on 5 Apr 12.
He continues to actively instill pride, professionalism and responsibility with Sailors and their careers to mold them into the next generation of leaders.
*** WITHOUT QUESTION - MY #1 OF 7 MASTER CHIEFS ACROSS THE BOARD! ***
There is no equal! CMC Jones has truly helped me reinforce the standard onboard WASP. Even in a rigorous operational environment and ever-ending assault on ship's manpower, nothing has stopped this aggressive deckplate leader!
- THE SAILOR'S SAILOR! Masterfully utilized all resources, personally intervened in various admin functions that affected crew's morale; waterfront's vocal leader on impacts of Navy's force shaping initiatives PTS/ERB to Sailor and ship's overall mission.
- PILOT PROGRAM READY. Assisted in preparing for WASP's designation as the test platform for a first-of-its-kind ATG Pilot Program onboard LHD. WASP is Basic Phase complete!
- INSPECTION READY. Changed WASP's 3M culture through extensive training resulting in score of 88.6% making WASP 1 of 3 ships on the waterfront to earn this certification.
- OPERATIONALLY TESTED. Led crew through key CNO level ship's milestones to include first F35B Aircraft landing, Trident Warrior, and Exercises BOLD ALLIGATOR and VITAL ARCHER.
- FLAWLESS PLANNER. Executed in-depth POA&M, enabled WASP's crew to complete a $22 million maintenance schedule; key in completion of 13 ship alterations and six major installs.
There is not enough room on this evaluation to describe CMC Jones' impact to this ship.
CAN NOT-WILL NOT LEAVE THE PIER WITHOUT HIM!" SELECT AS FORCE CMC NOW!!!
*** SOLID DECKPLATE LEADER WHO IS MAKING A DIFFERENCE! ***
MCCM Taylor was heavily relied upon to resurrect ship's 3M Program and provide direction to Chiefs Mess and Executive Department.
- EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP. Immediately transformed department of over 60 personnel as Executive Department Leading Chief Petty Officer. Guided Career Counseling, Personnel, Administration, and 3M Program through Afloat Training Group (ATG) Basic Training Phase.
- INSPECTION READY. Led WASP's 3M Team through extensive training resulting in the first passing score on SURFLANT 3M Certification from ATG for a LHD Class ship in FY11. His tireless efforts, coupled with the crew's renewed focus resulted in WASP receiving a passing score of 88.6% and becoming one of only three ships on the Norfolk waterfront to earn this certification on their first try.
- SOLID MENTOR. Led 16 Career Development Boards for departmental personnel, chaired over 50 disciplinary Review and SOQ/SOY Boards; aided in development of 12 selected CPOs.
- MASTER TRAINING SPECIALIST. Known as ship's historian for outstanding written and spoken pieces on such topics as Naval Birthday and Bicentennial Celebration of the War of 1812.
- Cycle 1 2012 PFA. BCA-Failed. Second PFA failure in a four year period.
His stellar performance significantly instilled a new professional culture onboard WASP!
WARRANT OFFICER EVAL EXAMPLES
*** Ranks 1 of 13 CWOs/Junior LDOs aboard! ***
*** Best Bos'n on the Waterfront! ***
- Outstanding Leader whose firm mentoring resulted in safe and effective deck evolutions from the Well-Deck to the Bridge. Personally mentored numerous junior officers and enlisted towards their SWO and ESWS quals.
- Exceptional manager of time and people leading Deck Department to execute every mission flawlessly and ahead of schedule ISO JTF Lebanon to include: the transfer of millions of gallons of fuel during numerous refueling evolutions and the boat transfer of emergency medevacs from a Chilean Submarine and a Civilian Passenger Liner.
- Professional Mariner; developed LHD Class-wide operating procedures for supporting an LCAC/LCU configuration in the Well Deck. The only Warrant Officer onboard WASP to gain the Commanding Officer's trust to qualify as Command Duty Officer.
Bos'n Metham is my top Officer in my wardroom and the key to maintaining the ship as the envy of the waterfront. Without a doubt one of the finest Warrants I have ever worked with in over 26 years of Naval Service.
** Detail to the toughest jobs needing outstanding leadership! **
** Promote to CWO4 now! **
*** My #1 Warrant Officer! ***
*** Superior performance as AMO/MMCO. ***
- Implemented and coordinated the certification and validation of nine 4K, four 6K, three 4KRT, one 10K and one 20K forklift in addition to 6 radiological pieces of test equipment, while identifying and obtaining six critical pieces of test equipment in less than seventy-two hours to ensure AIMD's repair capability was at 100% for SURGE 06 ISO GWOT.
- IMAGINATIVE and CREATIVE. Continually strives to increase the range and depth of maintenance capability resulting in numerous ship beautification and non-aviation maintenance projects with cost avoidance of scarce CNSL funds in excess of $200,000.00.
- During JTF Lebanon Operations, he performed flawlessly as the only qualified Debark Control Officer. His control and coordination of ship-to-shore movements using both air and surface assets was unsurpassed. ABSOLUTELY THE BEST I HAVE SEEN!
- Recognized Trainer and Expert Motivator. Aggressively trained 8 FPOA's enabling USS WASP to certify during FPIA with 14 out 15 drills receiving a grade of "OUTSTANDING".
- Under his direct leadership, USS WASP'S Calibration Program achieved an unprecedented 90% readiness in all three A, E and S inventories comprised of over 5,000 assets.
Committed to excellence in every endeavor, CWO4 Gaine's leadership, managerial and technical knowledge makes him an absolute front runner for CWO5. SELECT TO CWO5 EARLY!!
CWO3 Lomax' 22 years of repair experience is constantly sought out onboard WASP!
He expertly coordinated and resolved scheduling conflicts between eight to ten separate contractors and 69 shipboard Work Centers during multiple shipyard availabilities.
- Repair professional. During the highly successful 6A1 and 6A2 shipyard availabilities, he navigated the new SHIPMAIN process to track completion of 330 Depot level repairs and 35 engineering CASREP's enhancing WASP's readiness.
- Damage Control Specialist! Hand-picked to serve as Ship's Fire Marshal to educate all DCTT members to properly train the crew in all facets of firefighting and damage control.
- Outstanding Manager! Identified a deficit in qualified Quality Assurance Craftsmen on board. He personally devised and implemented a training course, now given to newly reported personnel during command indoctrination, thereby enhancing the ship's QA program.
- Issued Letter of Reprimand at CO's NJP for violation of UCMJ articles 92 and 107.
CWO3 Lomax continues to apply his drive for perfection to every aspect of his assigned tasks. His job accomplishment rate and "Can do" spirit are consistantly lauded throughout the command and he has my utmost confidence in repairing my ship.
*** Ranks #1 of 3 highly competitive CWO4's!! ***
A proven expert in aircraft crash and salvage, and a top notch leader!
- Trained and mentored 18 crewmen in preparation for WASP's participation in the Crash and Salvage Team Trainer in Pensacola, FL. His extraordinary leadership resulted in a score of 94%, the highest of any Amphibious Assault Ship this fiscal year.
- As Process Control Procedure Coordinator, he provided Quality Assurance for the rehabilitation of 90,000 square feet of flight deck nonskid after an extensive maintenance availability. His efforts resulted in a highly successful AVCERT inspection and the completion of Air Department's Aviation Readiness Qualification 15 days ahead of schedule.
- His dedication and resourcefulness were instrumental to the completion of WASP's Rotary Wing, Fixed Wing, and Tilt Rotor Certifications with 100% accuracy.
- Equally adept on the flight deck and running a division, he guided V-1 to a 96.5% grade on the ship's 3M evaluation.
CWO4 Carthon is a dedicated, talented professional that I routinely depend upon.
He has my strongest recommendation for promotion to CWO5!
*** Ranks #2 of 3 highly competitive CWO4s - equal to my #1 EP!! ***
CWO4 Scruggs continues to excel onboard WASP. Constantly seeks new and innovative process improvements and upgrades to material condition readiness in all food service spaces.
- Displayed exceptional leadership and management skills during the Supply Management Assessment. His meticulous attention to detail resulted in Food Service achieving a score of 94.02% allowing WASP to validate that portion of the Supply Management Inspection. He received many accolades for the superb quality and accountabilty of all financial records.
- Masterfully upgraded all areas of customer service and sanitation. Implemented an aggressive overhaul plan that has facilitated the replacement of numerous pieces of inoperative equipment. Increased food production by 20% and reduced man hours by 20% by installing state-of-the-art griddles, steamers and other food service equipment.
- Procured real Ice Cream machines and Starbucks Coffee dispensers dramatically improving crew morale. In addition, he effortlessly directed a work-force that performed a magnificent job off-loading $350,000 of perishable food items from the ship's bulk refrigerated storerooms into 4 pierside units, while preparing for refurbishment.
CWO4 Scruggs is an extremely talented manager and leader. His broad depth of experience and tenacity have made lasting improvements onboard WASP. Strongly recommended for CW05!
COMMISSIONED OFFICER EVAL EXAMPLES
*** TOP PERFORMING LT! MY #1 DIVISION OFFICER ONBOARD! SELECTED FOR DH! ***
*** VITAL TO MAKIN ISLAND'S SUCCESS IN DAMAGE CONTROL THROUGHOUT THE BASIC PHASE! ***
- MISSION CRITICAL. As primary Ballasting Officer and SME, LT Brooks trained nine EOOWs and EDOs and qualified one Commander, one Chief, and three Petty Officers in Ballasting Operations. As the ship's Gas Free Engineer, she trained 23 Sailors in gas free procedures and qualified two Officers as Gas Free Engineers, significantly contributing to MAKIN ISLAND's mission readiness.
- REMARKABLE MANAGER. Managed Repair Division's execution of 254 material checks, 36 administrative items, and a 100% effective Gas Free Engineering program for READ-E 6, resulting in a satisfactory score and highest within Engineering Department.
- COMMAND INFLUENCE. Hand-selected due to her expertise to lead MAKIN ISLAND through a successful Final Battle Problem without a glitch. Active in DCTT, she trained 42 DCTT members in Main Space Fire Doctrine and Repair Party Manual procedures and coached and qualified one Commander through 18 repair locker command and control drills. Block 20: Within BCA standards, waived from PRT based on elevated scores on Cycle 18-2.
An exceptional Surface Warfare Officer, her professional knowledge, impeccable standards, and impressive leadership are on par with my more seasoned LCDR and CDR Department Heads.
*** AN EARLY COMMAND CANDIDATE! SELECT HER AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY! ***
*** MY NUMBER ONE OF 14 LIEUTENANTS ONBOARD! SELECTED FOR DEPT HEAD! ***
*** FILLS A DEMANDING XO SPECIAL MISSION BILLET AS A SECOND TOUR DIVISION OFFICER AND ABSOLUTELY EXCELS! PARAMOUNT FOR MAKIN ISLAND'S SUCCESS THROUGHOUT THE BASIC PHASE! ***
- MISSION ESSENTIAL. As primary Ballasting Officer and SME, she qualified and led 14 Sailors and one Chief through 11 evolutions and 242 hours of Well Deck operations, certifying Amphibious Warfare on time with zero mishaps.
- OUTSTANDING MANAGER. Managed Repair Division's execution of 276 material checks for DCMA, resulting in an overall score of 96%. Maintained a 100% effective Gas Free Engineering program throughout ATG and TSRA inspections. Overhauled manning for over 400 personnel throughout ten repair lockers, resulting in 100% DC manning for Condition I and II DC.
- SHIP-WIDE IMPACT. Expertly planned, trained, and led the crew through 64 Damage Control, Engineering, and Medical drills, resulting in the certification of LOA, MOB-D, MOB-E, and FSOM ahead of schedule.
Block 20: Within BCA standards, waived from PRT based on elevated scores on Cycle 18-2.
An exceptional Surface Warfare Officer, her professionalism, impeccable standards, and leadership are on par with my more seasoned LCDR and CDR Department Heads.
*** AN EARLY COMMAND CANDIDATE! SELECT HER AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY! ***
*** RANKS #2 OF 16 OUTSTANDING LIEUTENANTS ONBOARD WASP! ***
- Expert Administrator! Led his team of Admin professionals through a comprehensive Field Examining Group audit with outstanding results despite severe manning shortages. Current onboard procedures resulted in best practices for fleet-wide use.
- Visionary! Produced numerous recommendations to PAPA det and SURFLANT identifying problem areas and recommended solutions. His close liaison with ISIC's and supporting entities ensured top-quality and timely support of WASP's personnel.
- Security/Force Protection expert! Handpicked to serve as one of four FPAO's during Surge deployment in Imminent danger areas in Colombia and CENTCOM AORs. Additionally, performed brilliantly as FPAO during critical C2F FP certification exercise.
- His team contributed to every successful major evolution onboard WASP despite severe manning shortages. 100% ESWS/EAWS quals and outstanding Advancement results.
No Admin Officer I have ever worked with in over 32 years has done it better! He has served WASP brilliantly in any capacity tasked: Advisor, Exec assistant, protocol!
Promote early to LCDR and detail to the most demanding billets in the Admin community.
***MY #1 LDO LIEUTENANT***
***STELLAR PERFORMER, THE GO-TO GO GUY IN MY WARDROOM***
His exemplary talents go unmatched, the model for all LDOs to emulate.
Astute manager- His comprehensive implementation, coordination, and tracking of all SAR equipment lead to the best SAR CERTIFICATION known on the Waterfront by ATG Inspectors.
Immaculate Expert- His remarkable ability to provide positive direction as Seamanship Training Team Leader enabled him to effectively motivate and guide Deck Department through Well Deck Cert, SBTT, and ULTRA C producing results of 90 or greater.
Impeccable work ethic- He is extremely confident, highly ambitious, and an inspiring motivator. He flawlessly enhanced the readiness of Deck Department as well as WASP, maintaining all qualifications and maintenance requirements in preparation of "PANAMAX 07". His exceptional and meticulous leadership was clearly demonstrated as Deck Department conducted over 5 MK-105 SLED launches during MINE COUNTERMEASURE EXERCISES in support of "SURGE 07".
LT KING IS AN ABSOLUTELY SUPERB OFFICER. HE'S MY RECOGNIZED EXPERT ON DECK. HIS PROFESSIONALISM IS IMMEASURABLE. SELECT NOW FOR ANY 1ST LT JOB! HAS MY STRONGEST RECOMMENDATION FOR PROMOTION.
#2 of 9 tenacious LCDR's. Ranked below my Chief Engineer only due to level of responsibility. WASP's success depends on both of these fine LDO's. A consummate and driven professional. Mission oriented and the driving force behind WASP's achievements.
- My Condition I Tactical Action Officer, leading both Condition III and Condition I Teams expertly throughout the Unit Level training phase. Attained Training Level II and was instrumental in WASP attaining Surge Ready status within 60 days of a major availability IAW FRP guidance, the first big deck amphibious ship to do so.
- Expertly developed, managed and briefed all operational schedules of events, an often overwhelming task on a capital warship.
- Lead planner for a port visit to Rockland, ME for Lobsterfest 05. Superbly coordinated with local and state officials, resulting in a fabulous experience for all involved. A tremendous effort.
- Completely reorganized and formatted my underway OPS/INTEL brief, consistently resulting in professional, routinely flawless and informative presentations.
- Manages the SIPRNET website and has taken a sub-optimized area and transformed it into a dynamic and up-to-date reference source.
Select LCDR McGuinness for promotion to CDR now and assign him to operational commands with high tempos. He will excel as a Shore Commanding Officer or Officer in Charge.
MY #1 LDO DEPARTMENT HEAD! Already performing at the O-5 level. He defines technical competence and promotes professional growth throughout his department and Wardroom. He motivates, inspires, and develops every subordinate he meets. A stellar example of accomplishment and managerial superiority in the LDO community.
- Thoroughly knowledgeable engineer. Continually sets demanding goals for his department -- they always rise to meet the challenge! His tough but fair management style ensures a heightened state of readiness that is paralleled by no other on the waterfront.
- Guided his department through a graded "above average" Underway Demonstration. The first Ship to do such under the new shortened IDTC requirements.
- His people want to follow him. Led his department through a highly successful PMA. His incredible foresight helped mold his training plans to guarantee WASP's successful completion of all post-shipyard inspections and assessments.
- Drove plan to re-develop and implement Planning Board for Maintenance (PB4M). His short/long term maintenance plans have brilliantly guided the maintenance team and will ensure WASP's continued standard of excellence.
LCDR Webb is an ardent professional ready for immediate promotion to Commander. An aggressive Engineer who always expects and delivers the most from his people and equipment.
*** My #2 of 15 Ensigns onboard DECATUR! ***
ENS Brooks's work ethic and dedication to excellence have brought unparalleled success to Combat Missiles Division and DECATUR.
-MISSION CRITICAL. Under her expert guidance, DECATUR'S strike team scored 96% during CMTQ two days ahead of schedule. As ECO, she spearheaded SLAMEX 16-04 and 16-10, FST-J, IDCERTEX, and Texas Thunder 16-02, resulting in the simulated launch of 3,200 TLAM. Her engagement planning and missile management improved DECATUR's from T4 to T2.
-PROVEN LEADER. She led six VLS Sailors through five deluge casualties without the technical expertise of a LCPO, completing repairs in time for ammo onload. She organized strike warfare training for 30 Combat and Bridge watchstanders and two AECOs, greatly improving DECATUR's offensive mission readiness.
-OUTSTANDING MANAGER. In preparation for C7F deployment, she planned, managed, and provided oversight of the arrangement and configuration of VLS for two scheduled and three emergent ammunition onloads.
ENS Brooks is a top-performing division officer with an extremely bright future. She has my highest recommendation for WTI assignment and Department Head selection.